Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Firewalls

What can be said about firewalls? Ask 10 different people and you’re likely to get 10 different answers to which one is best!

There are many out there, and many are good (especially, if you’re talking to some one that is using the one you’re asking about!). To name just a few, there is Norton, ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice, OutPost, McAfee, and so on. I use to mainly use Norton, and have to say I had pretty good results with it. I have family and friends that have used some of the others, and of course swore by them!

Some of the forgoing may have a limited free version, or may not. Prices can be found, and write ups galore, by just using a search engine.

For the past year and a half, I’ve been using a totally free one – Avast. I am very pleased with it, and in conjunction with my hardware firewall (a Linksys router), I have had Zero problems!

I really like the fact Avast (btw, I’m not associated with them, other than using their product), offers 7 different types of protection (shields), and they constantly keep their virus package and program updated (using the auto update function eliminates the possibility of forgetting to do it yourself).

As I mentioned above, I also use a router as a hardware firewall, and for the price of approximately $30 dollars US I feel it is well worth it, even if you’re only running one PC in your home. You just plug it into the back of your modem and your PC(s) into it.

For clarification purposes here, I’m referring to a wired router, not a wireless. I’m waiting on security to catch up in the wireless world before I venture there. IMHO, it is to easy for any one with a few skills to tap into your wireless, and then into your network/PC(s)!

Hope you find this of some use and benefit! See you next time!

No comments: