Thursday, June 21, 2007

USER IDs and PASSWORDs

Obviously, how you generate, use and protect these on the Web is of vital importance! Let’s look at each of these areas, and possible approaches to each one.

Generating userids and passwords – first of all, you could invest in a random generator program, or simply do it yourself. I prefer the latter, seeing it only “costs” a little bit of your time.

The method I use is to open a blank word document. I set it up in a table format using the drop down menu at the top of the page, and the “Insert Table” option. You can use as many columns and rows as you desire.

Next in each cell/square, randomly type a combination of letters, numbers and special characters. Seeing passwords are generally case sensitive, use both upper and lower case letters.

Most password fields on web sites are 10 to 12 characters in length, so create some of each. I usually create about 50 rows of these in the advent that my list is stolen, it would take some effort to determine the right combination for use on any given site.

Next, I use the back ground high lighter tool on the menu bar in MS word to color code a random selection of the cells. I may, or may not, use the ones that I high light. I then take a pocket note book and record what userids and passwords I’m using for what web sites. Obviously, you then need to keep this in a safe and secure place. Here’s an example of what it looks like when completed:

3jicexet38+?

04562wimid

312prwi311

88459qirws

6318g#rjm2i

52me593mid

93mida3929

imide9354

ux4!9204q6e

Now, using a jump/thumb drive, which can be purchased for a few dollars depending on the features and storage capacity, I save my file of userids and passwords to it. I do not keep these on my system’s hard drive for security reasons (i.e., if I’m hacked, the list can’t be comprised very readily). A jump drive is also an easy way to back-up your other important files and documents, and offers great portability! You can now get them with multiple gigabits of storage capacity, and they easily plug into a usb port on your computer.

When accessing a site requiring your userid and password, you have three options for entering them:

- type them in using your regular keyboard (NOT good as a key stroke logger virus may have infected your computer and is recording your strokes);

- “type” them in using window’s virtual keyboard (you can find this by going to the Start menu, click on Programs, then Accessories, then Accessibility and On-screen Keyboard). This option eliminates the key stroke logger threat seeing you just click on the desired letter/number/character on the window’s on screen keyboard; or,

- copy and paste them from the list you’ve created above. I prefer this method as it saves time and eliminates typing mistakes.

o I MUST WARN you though, when copying and pasting, the last thing you have high lighted, right clicked on, and pasted is still in your windows Clipboard!! Be sure and copy something of no importance immediately afterwards so as not to leave sensitive info on the Clipboard, in case your system is hacked! You can also create a short cut to the clip board and go into it and delete any info on it.

In closing out this “tome”, be sure and change your web site(s) password regularly!!!

No comments: