Wednesday, June 20, 2007

SECURITY TIPS

SECURITY TIPS
For The Novice (and not so Novice)
Computer User


Hi, and welcome to U-Dont-Know-Jack! If you have now read my Bio., you now know Jack (or know of me)!

First and foremost, I don’t profess to be any sort of “guru” on the topics I’m sharing with you. I simply would like to share with you a few tips that I have learned and use in an attempt to safe guard my computer and personal information on the Internet in order to give you something to think about (and possibly use yourself, if you see fit to).

BTW, if any one tells you that you can make yourself/your computer completely safe on the wild Web (other than disconnecting your computer), I’d like to hear how they do it!

I will provide you some tips/tricks on the following topics that I use, and which so far, have kept me and my data safe and sound:

  • Adware, Spyware, Malware, Etc.
  • Browers
  • Email
  • Userids and Passwords
  • Firewalls
  • Purchasing Online

When it comes to security and ways to safe guard your data/computer, you can go to great extremes (i.e., fingerprint/retina scanning) and expense, or you can find your own comfort level and costs. What I will share with you are some ways to keep the cost at a minimum, and still get a decent level of protection while doing so.

Purchasing Online

Purchasing online, or any other way except cash for that matter, is an opportunity for thieves to steal your identity, empty your credit card/bank account and bring utter chaos into your life. I would like to offer two ways that you can purchase online and limit your exposure to this. They are: virtual and prepaid credit cards.

You can use any of the search engines to find out who offers virtual credit cards. I prefer using a prepaid credit card. It has two distinct advantages over a virtual one. First and most importantly, you don’t have to furnish any personal information to purchase one from a retailer in your local area! Second, you can use it when going on a trip in place of your regular credit card, thereby guarding against the possibility of losing your regular one(s) and going through the hassle of canceling and replacing it. Of course, both have the advantage of the fact that your exposure to loss is limited to the amount you have on the card.

Hope you have found the foregoing of some value and use! Until next time, happy surfing!








Google















1 comment:

Bill's Country said...

Jack, very interesting. Good advise for all of us using the Internet. Looking forward to your next post. And a very good start with your Blog. Wishing your great success with your Blog, and all other endeavors. On a personal note to every visitor at "Security Tips": I've known Jack for over five years, he has been a great help to me on many ocassions. I'm proud to call him 'my best friend', and I'm grateful for his 25 year's service to defend and protect America. As two of the co-founders of "The Wall Of Honor.com", Jack and his service in the Air Force was part of the inspiration and vision to attempt such an undertaking (a work in progress).... "THAT WE NEVER FORGET --- those who serve, particularly those who GAVE ALL!".
Bill Allen (71 years young)- Atlanta, Georgia